RYA VHF/DSC Short Range Certificate Course
Next Course Date
Thursday 2nd April 2020Postponed due to Coronavirus Thursday 14th May 2020Cancelled due to Coronavirus
- Thursday 25th June 2020 Under review due to Coronavirus
VHF/DSC Marine Radio
- We operate a 1:1 student to radio ratio allowing you maximum hands on radio practice time.
- Maximum class size 6
- Minimum age 16 years, and In line with our Safeguarding Policy young adults under 18 should be accompanied by a responsible adult
- We have added a new pair of the latest Standard Horizon radios to our existing range, featuring internal GPS and programmed with the new VHF channels introduced in January 2017. This offers a more realistic learning experience and guarantees to keep you at the forefront of the latest developments in marine radio communications.
- Willow Farm, Waltham Lane, Harby, Leicestershire, LE14 4DB
This RYA shore-based course aims to teach you how to operate a VHF/DSC marine radio, the correct procedures and protocol required for efficient radio communications, and how to make:
Calls using VHF Marine Radio equipment with the latest Digital Selective Calling technology.
During this course
You will practice all these skills using real VHF/DSC radios. Each student will be allocated their own training radio for the duration of the course. The training session is followed by a second shorter session where your practical knowledge and skills will be assessed by an independent RYA examiner and a short written paper.
Successful completion of the course will qualify you to receive the Short Range Certificate of Competence (issued by RYA) authorising the holder to operate VHF/DSC marine radio equipment.
Pre Course Prior Knowledge:
- Home study of the G31 course book supplied by Ashore Sailing and included in the course cost.
- Maximum six students
- £90.00 includes RYA G31 course book
RYA Exam & Certificate Fee:
What our students say
Clare. Instructors knowledge was amazing. Information given helped us to ensure we felt confident and comfortable using the equipment. We had lots of practice, so by the time of the exam you knew exactly what to do and what was expected of you.
Dave.Mark is a brilliant instructor who clearly knows his stuff and skillfully transfers his knowledge. I couldn’t be happier with the quality of course, Mark’s teaching style, the learning environment, and the jovial atmosphere in the classroom.
Full marks for Ashore, thanks for a great, informative day!
John. Nicely paced lesson format with switches from power point, lecture and practical sessions. Plenty of time to practice and review important message sequences. Enjoyable day! Thank you